When choosing between carpets and tiles, one of the main deciding factors is cleaning. No doubt, carpets do come with more maintenance, and regular carpet cleaning is essential to avoid the collection of dust, bacteria and odours, not to mention unsightly stains. However, we all love the plush, soft, comforting feeling of a carpet in a home or even a workspace. It adds a warm, welcoming element that many people favour over tiles.
Daily or weekly vacuuming can suffice for the general upkeep and hygiene of your carpets, but you may be unsure of how often to get them professionally deep cleaned. So, we’ve put together this guide to help you.
Carpet Cleaning Myth Busted
If you have been advised against cleaning your carpets too often, beware that this is, in fact, a myth. There is absolutely no harm in cleaning your carpets as often as you feel necessary because carpets easily attract dust mites, bacteria, pollen and other dirt. However, it is advisable to avoid soapy washes or steam cleaning your carpets because these methods use heaps of water that can collect in your carpets and breed mould. For regular, deep cleaning, it’s best to use a dry cleaning service that is chemical-free and soap-free.
Guidelines & Tips For Carpet Cleaning Frequency
- A professional cleaning service is recommended at least every 12 months to remove pet hair, grime, bacteria, stains and odours. This will differ depending on how heavily your carpet is used.
- If you have pets or kids, you should deep clean your carpets every three to six months.
- If you have a light-coloured carpet, consider a dry cleaning service every six months to keep them looking gorgeous and stain-free.
- If you have allergies, regardless of whether or not you have pets, you should still get your carpets cleaned professionally every three to six months, depending on how severe your allergies are.
- Keep a schedule of when you want your carpets to be cleaned and tick off the dates as you go along to keep track of when the next clean is due.
- How big is your space and how much thoroughfare do you have? If you are in a busy office or a home with a big family and lots of pets, you will need to professionally clean your carpets more often than a single person or small couple with no pets.
For expert carpet cleaning in NSW, get in touch with Chem-Dry Central North. We specialise in non-toxic, environmentally friendly, dry carpet cleaning services that you and your carpets will love.